What kind of father?
Have you ever noticed the difference in parents, or fathers more specifically, who attend their child’s ball game? Let’s look at four very different dads who have taken their son or daughter to the ball field…
1. One stays in the car, reads a book, and pays no attention to his child.
2. One sits in the bleachers with his back turned to the field, disinterested, chatting with other parents.
3. One sits in the bleachers, arms crossed, watching every move the child makes and shaking his finger at the child; then paces up and down the fence, fuming and yelling that he or she is doing it all wrong.
4. One sits, perched on the edge of his seat, his eyes focused on the child who is so dear to his heart. He fervently watches the whole field to see how the game is going. With earnest vigilance, he scans the other players to make sure no one does anything to bring harm or is unfair to his precious child.
He is ever prepared to spring to his feet, jump up and down with total delight, and scream as loud as he can in utter enjoyment when his child makes the most incredible catch or tries to inch his or her way closer to home plate.
When the game is over, win or lose, the father puts his arm around his child, pats him or her on the back, and says, “Good job!” Then, he proudly takes the child out for a treat as the reward for a great performance.
What kind of Father?
Now, let’s compare these four dads to our heavenly Father. Which one sounds like the image you have of your heavenly Father…
1. He is in heaven involved in other things. You wonder where He is; you can’t seem to find Him. You feel He has forgotten you.
2. He leans over the side of His throne, paying more attention to others than to you.
3. He sits rigidly on His throne, arms folded across His chest, sternly watching every move you make, ready to point His finger at you and to whack you with His rod. You wonder if you will ever do anything right in His sight.
4. He sits, perched on the edge of His seat; His eyes focused on you, His child who is so dear to His heart. He fervently watches the whole field to see how the game is going. With earnest vigilance, He scans the other players to make sure no one does anything to bring harm or is unfair to His precious child.
He is ever prepared to spring to His feet, jump up and down with total delight, and scream as loud as He can in utter enjoyment when you make the most incredible gain or try to inch your way closer to Home.
When the game is over, win or lose, the Father puts His arm around you, pats you on the back, and says, “Good job! I give you your reward.”
If you have never pictured God as being actively involved in whatever you do, begin now. He is ever ready to jump to His feet in pure delight over each step of your faithfulness and obedience.
Let His joy over you be your comfort.
The Lord your God is with you. He is a hero who saves you.
He happily rejoices over you, renews you with his love,
and celebrates over you with shouts of joy.
Zeph. 3:17 GW
May your understanding of the Father’s love for you grow each day…Lynn