Do you ever go through your Bible and just read the parts you have marked or highlighted? I do. It encourages me. The other day, I decided to go through the book of Acts. My eyes stopped at Acts 2:25-26, which is a quote of Psalm 16:8-9.
If you are a frequent reader, you know that I love to dig into the great depths of definitions of Scripture. Whatever you do, don’t skip over the definitions; they’re the whole point of this and you’ll miss all the yummy meat of the message.
Let’s first start with the original verses above. I’m only using one definition from this verse as the Acts verse reiterates them. The word is set, which, in Hebrew, means to agree with or become like, to level, resemble, make even, or uniform (with something else), adjust, be suitable, yield, etc.
In the New Testament, Peter quotes the passage of David, “I foresaw the Lord always before my face, for He is at my right hand, that I may not be shaken. Therefore my heart rejoiced, and my tongue was glad; moreover my flesh also will rest in hope.” (Acts 2:25-26 NKJV)
Now, the juicy part. The definitions say…
* foresaw means to behold in advance, keep in one’s view, before one’s eyes, be mindful of one always
* before face is two words meaning in or before the face of me, in one’s presence and sight or hearing
* always comes from 1) through, the channel of an act, because, for, by; and 2) all, every, any, of every kind, everything, or through everything
* right hand is used of power and authority or place of honor or fellowship
* shaken means moved, waver, rock, topple or destroy, to disturb, render insecure, the motion produced by winds, storms, waves, etc., agitate, overthrow, cast down from one’s (secure and happy) state
* rejoiced means to be in a good frame of mind, gladden, make joyful, cheer, make merry
* glad means to jump for joy, rejoice exceedingly, with exceeding joy
* rest means to camp down, pitch one’s tent, fix one’s abode, remain, dwell
* hope means to anticipate, usually with pleasure, expectation or confidence
So, Lynn’s Extended Version might say…
“I have set the Lord before me that I may become like Him, to resemble Him, to yield to Him, to keep Him continuously before me, turning my eyes and ears to Him, being mindful of Him through everything, always; because He is at my right hand with His power, authority, and fellowship, I will not be shaken, I will not waver, topple over, be insecure, destroyed by winds, storms, or waves; I will not be agitated, overthrown or cast down from my secure and happy state; through it all, my heart is in a good frame of mind and cheers joyfully, my tongue rejoices exceedingly, and my flesh pitches a tent and camps out, remains, and rests in the pleasure of anticipation and confidence in hope!”
Whew! Long, right? But are you not encouraged by that? I sure was…and am! My heart cries out with David…
Do you keep your eyes focused on Him and your ears tilted to hear His voice?
Do you keep the Lord before you continuously? Do you resemble Him?
Is your heart glad and cheered, and does your tongue rejoice exceedingly in Him?
Does your flesh pitch a tent in hope?
No matter what is going on in your life, my prayer for you is this…
*A rerun remixed.