What is said about the original purpose of Labor Day…
The U.S. Department of Labor says that Labor Day “is a creation of the labor movement and is dedicated to the social and economic achievements of American workers. It constitutes a yearly national tribute to the contributions workers have made to the strength, prosperity, and well-being of our country.”
What have others said about labor…
* Without labor nothing prospers. ~Sophocles
* Take rest; a field that has rested gives a bountiful crop. ~Ovid
* Before the reward there must be labor. You plant before you harvest. You sow in tears before you reap joy. ~ Ralph Ransom
* It is only through labor and painful effort, by grim energy and resolute courage, that we move on to better things. ~ Theodore Roosevelt
* He who works with his hands is a laborer. He who works with his hands and his head is a craftsman. He who works with his hands and his head and his heart is an artist. ~ Francis of Assisi
But are we laboring for the world’s harvest of money or position or power?
Or are we laboring for those things of the Kingdom?
What does the Word say about labor?
* “Six days you shall labor and do all your work, but the seventh day is a Sabbath to the Lord your God. On it you shall not do any work…Therefore the Lord blessed the Sabbath day and made it holy.” (Ex. 20:9-10a, 11b NIV)
* “Blessed are all who fear the Lord, who walk in His ways. You will eat the fruit of your labor; blessings and prosperity will be yours.” (Ps. 128:1-2 NIV)
* “Unless the Lord builds the house, they labor in vain who build it.” (Ps. 127:1 NKJV)
* “The labor of the righteous leads to life.” (Prov. 10:16 NKJV)
* “Do not labor for the food which perishes, but for the food which endures to everlasting life, which the Son of Man will give you, because God the Father has set His seal on Him.” (John 6:27 NKJV)
So, what is our great field of labor? The Lord’s field of work and looking for a harvest of the souls of others!
Therefore, what kind of laboring are we doing? Do we labor for ourselves or do we labor as God desires?
“Therefore, my dear brothers and sisters, be steadfast, immovable, always excelling in the Lord’s work, because you know that your labor in the Lord is not in vain.” (1 Cor. 15:58 CSB)
In vain? Never! Work for the Lord is never wasted.
And we are to enjoy our work for the Lord…
“What do people really get for all their hard work? … So I concluded there is nothing better than to be happy and enjoy ourselves as long as we can. And people should eat and drink and enjoy the fruits of their labor, for these are gifts from God.” (Eccl. 3:9, 12-13 NLT)
So, my friends…
…labor hard…labor consistently…
…for the Lord…and enjoy the fruits of your labor!
If you’d like to subscribe and receive each new post, that would be happiness!