I’ve been listening to and reading some things lately that seemed to follow a theme. For instance, a friend’s book that I just started to read, Body Tithe. A devotional for spiritual and physical fitness. Matthew Pryor, the author, was my guest poster not too long ago.
And our church is doing a great series on money and, of course, tithing is part of it. (Whether or not you believe in tithing, it is a topic that needs to be studied and prayed over.)
But this is not about your body or your wallet. It’s about your heart.
I guess the Lord used these things, and others, to make me ponder the thought He dropped into my noggin: Heart Tithe. And no, I don’t mean we give the Lord just 10% of our heart.
We are to…
* love Him with our whole heart.
* seek Him with our whole heart.
* trust Him with our whole heart.
* obey Him with our whole heart.
* serve Him with our whole heart.
But do we really do that? Do we love the Lord, our Beloved, with all our heart, seeking Him, trusting Him, obeying Him, and serving Him with all our heart?
Scripture tells us…
* “‘You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, and with all your mind.’ This is the first and great commandment. And the second is like it: ‘You shall love your neighbor as yourself.’ On these two commandments hang all the Law and the Prophets.” (Matt. 22:37-40 NKJV)
* “You will seek Me and find Me, when you search for Me with all your heart.” (Jer. 29:13 NKJV)
* “With my whole heart I have sought You; Oh, let me not wander from Your commandments! Your word I have hidden in my heart, that I might not sin against You.” (Ps. 119:10-11 NKJV)
* “Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and lean not on your own understanding.” (Prov. 3:5 NKJV)
* “I will keep Your precepts with my whole heart.” (Ps. 119:69b NKJV)
* “Only fear the Lord, and serve Him in truth with all your heart; for consider what great things He has done for you.” (1 Sam. 12:24 NKJV)
Do we follow all that or do we merely tithe, so to speak, our love for Him, giving Him a piece of our heart, a small portion of our time, tithing our seeking, our trust, our obedience, and our service to Him?
Jesus said, “For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.” (Matt. 6:21 NKJV)
Is the Lord your heart’s treasure? Have you given your Beloved a Heart Tithe or your Whole Heart?